Friday, September 17, 2004

Ah yes, and we knew her well

What an evening..........I've been laughing, shaking my head, and wondering how anyone could have taken any of this seriously.  Thanks Beely, Swissriegel, and the rest of you that made this possible.  I know some of you took these last few days rather seriously and I must admit that I really thought things were going to come to blows until tonight.  Thanks, Swissriegel, for coming forward.  What fun....I can hear Grandpa chuckling up there.
 
Beel, Mae Hensley, what a lady.  I had the privilege of talking to her about a year before she passed away.  She still remembered all our names and pretty much knew what we we all doing.  Yeah, she could handle Pete and Okie without batting an eye. Tough lady, but fair.  She was the big room teacher (and principal) when I was in the little room (1st to 4th grade).  One Japanese friend I had at Fairview was Charlie something.  He was in the big room and a super nice guy.  Made me my first sling shot.  I remember that Monday morning coming to school and learning that of our Japanese friends had been taken away and put in camps.  At our age that was tough to understand.  I've often wondered what happened to them.
 
Pova?  Yes, it was "Mary" Cunningham.  Brother was Leroy and little sister was Letha Mae.  Lived in the big house on the corner of Service and Crowslanding.Road.  Mary was a very special lady that didn't let her speech problems hold her back.  I don't think she had any special feelings for Yeyo, but was seriously interested in how her friends were doing.
 
Beely, thanks for mentioning Pova and Mae Hensley.  I must admit that I had not thought about them in awhile.  Still can't wait for some of the stories buried in your little old pea brain.  Bring it on Man!
 
Dad, Brother, Uncle, Father-in-law, Grandpa, reporting from 1117 Petersburg Way



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?