Saturday, April 28, 2007

Happy Mother's Day -- a little early

John and I will be in Ireland on Mothers' Day but will both be thinking of our mothers.  I came across the following prose that Shelly wrote while  taking a poetry class in 1987 titled, You Were So Patient.
 
The other day I saw a lady standing on the corner...  She was old, plump and patiently waiting.....waiting for something.... she just stood there......
 
And as she stood there I went back to another time..... years ago when I used to visit you Grandma... it was summertime.... it was very hot and it was noon... time for dinner.  You'd be out there on that old gravel road waiting for grandpa to come in from the field.  The heat , the wait didn't seem to bother you...
 
Years later was you laid in your hospital bed... again I saw you waiting patiently... this time you weren't waiting for Grandpa... you were waiting to meet your maker.  The pain, the wait didn't seem to bother you....
 
Take me back to the summertime....I want to be able to just stand and wait patiently.. Why am I in such a hurry while grandma stood there.... Yes You were always so patient.
 
 



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?