Monday, March 23, 2009

From Grandma Fran / Enjoy !!!!!!!

You're in the Sports - Fresno State Bulldogs section

60 seconds with Aja Scheuber

Sunday, Mar. 22, 2009

What's an athlete do when she uses up her eligibility in one sport?
Aja Scheuber, the cleanup hitter for the Bulldogs softball team in 2008, is trying her hand at the school's newest sport -- lacrosse.
Scheuber is a 5-foot-6 midfielder on a very green Bulldogs team that is 0-5 and has been outscored 94-5 in its debut season. No surprise that Scheuber has one of those goals. She's a natural.
As the Fresno State softball team's designated player -- meaning she hit but didn't play a position -- her big bat produced a .342 average with five homers and 48 RBIs to help the Bulldogs reach the NCAA Tournament for a record 27th straight time.
The Turlock native was an all-state player at Merced College in 2006 before putting on a Bulldogs uniform.
The Bee caught up with Scheuber during the lacrosse team's 18-day hiatus between games.
Question: Describe your first goal. What it felt like.
Answer: It was similar to hitting my first home run. I knew it was going to come, but didn't know when. I intercepted a pass, switched the ball from my right to left hand and shot upper left corner. Very cool.
You played on two NCAA teams in softball. How are you handling the losing?
Right now it's not about winning and losing. We're a first-year program that's all about building the foundation for years to come.
What did you take from softball that helped in lacrosse?
Probably taking groundballs. You run to the ball with the stick in your hand like with a glove. And the throwing part and hand-eye coordination.
Which sport is harder to play?
I'd say lacrosse. I played softball all my life and lacrosse only eight months. It's different; quicker and a lot more running.
Where you familiar with lacrosse when it was first added to the athletic program?
Never played it at all. Oh, maybe once at recess in fourth grade. I knew the basics.
Why did you choose to play lacrosse?
It's new and exciting and took me out of my comfort zone. Every day I learn something different. It's also the experience of being a part of history on this first lacrosse team.
Are you on an athletic scholarship?
I'm not quite sure. On a partial scholarship, but I don't know how that works. I only have this year of eligibility left, though.
Can this team win a game this season?
I think we have the potential to win. ... One thing is, we won't give up for a minute. You're taking a lot of long road trips? At least you're piling up the frequent flyer mileage.
Yeah, definitely. I'm used to flying and the travel. But it's neat going East and seeing that level and how the sport is really played by the powerhouses. We'll see first-hand what we are aspiring to be.
-- Jeff Davis, The Fresno Bee



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?